Texas License-To-Carry Renewals
As of September 1, 2013 class time and range time are NO LONGER REQUIRED required for LTC/CHL card renewals.
As long as your license is not expired more than 12 months you may renew your license. If you license has been expired more than 12 months the DPS handgun license renewal system will not allow you to renew your license. You will have to take the class all over again just like a new applicant.
If you handgun license indicates “Concealed Handgun License” instead of “License To Carry” you DO NOT have to retake a class to renew your license.
Online or paper applications are available from the state.
To renew a LTC/CHL you will need to follow the following steps:
- Renew your License-To-Carry/Concealed Handgun License with the state through their website.
- There are two ways to renew your License-To-Carry:
- Apply online for a renewal license from the below link and pay the renewal fees online.
- Download a PDF application file from the below link to print, fill-out, and mail-in with fees.
- Website: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/
- You may apply for your renewal up to 6 months before you license expires and no more than 12 months after it expires.
- If your handgun license is expired for more than 12 months you will have to retake the entire course just like a new student.